Updates in Windows 10 are critical for keeping your systems secured.
Cybersecurity specialists send alerts and reminders to businesses and government agencies on a regular basis about installing updates. A flaw called “Bluekeep” discovered in the spring of 2019 triggered such advisories from the US National Security Agency for Microsoft Windows users, warning that outdated systems were vulnerable to malware.
Here we’re going to focus on Windows software. You can find our guide for Mac users here.
Why do You Need to Update?
Windows Update exists to help make it easy to keep your system up to date with the latest patches, service packs, and other updates. This is critical for your security.
How to Change Windows Update Settings in Windows 10
- Tap or click on the Start button, followed by Settings. You’ll need to be on the Windows 10 Desktop to do this.
- From Settings, tap or click on Update & security.
- Choose Windows Update from the menu on the left, assuming it’s not already selected.
- Tap or click on the Advanced options link on the right, which will open a window headlined Choose how updates are installed.
- Select Automatic (recommended) from the drop-down, check “Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows.” And do not check the Defer upgrades option.
There is no official way to turn off automatic updating in Windows 10, nor is there a straightforward way to disable Windows Update altogether.
Updates to Fix Security Vulnerabilities
System vulnerabilities discovered by malicious hackers, like the “BlueKeep” flaw, can leave your computers vulnerable to infection by viruses. Ransomware can often be installed quickly, holding your files hostage and demanding payment from you. Or your entire company.
That’s why you need to keep your operating system and software up-to-date. Automated attacks or the downloading of malicious attachments can quickly spread from one compromised employee computer to an entire corporate network.
Do you have a company security policy about installing system or software updates?